What is ECMAScript 6?
As of this writing, the latest version, ES6, was released in 2015 which is why it is also known as ECMAScript 2015. It is more commonly referenced as ECMAScript 6 and ES6 though.
Awesome new features released include:
- Block scoped variable types such as const and let.
- Arrow functions.
- Template strings.
- Array and Object Destructuring.
- Class definition and inheritance.
- Enhanced regular expressions.
- And much much more…
I have found the following resources amazing and helpful for getting caught up with ES6 and learning all of the new neat things you can do.
- Feature Overview & Comparison: es6-features.org
- Video Series by Jeffrey Way: laracasts.com
- Video Series by Wes Bos: es6.io
- Understanding ECMAScript 6 eBook: leanpub.com